Onshore flow returning Friday?

Or more like weather education. I've posted information I use to help figure out the day. Often I'll also post graphics with explanations of "why" the weather guessers think the day is good.

Moderator: Chip

Post Reply
User avatar
Chip
Site Admin
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA
Contact:

Onshore flow returning Friday?

Post by Chip » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:17 pm

If I were a pilot that REALLY needed to fly, :o I'd be watching for this Friday Feb 10th.

Based on the current forecast, it's looking like the offshore flow should begin to subside late in the day on Thursday. With the transition we have typically seen good flying days with nice altitude gains.

Keep your options open incase you need to be "sick" :wink:

Meanwhile it looks like Ojai has been the call this entire week. From the satellite it looks like the conditions have been perfect for Nordoff. No word from the SCPA crew (paragliders), but it looks like classic Ojai weather (Easterly).

User avatar
Don
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 8:58 am

Friday illness

Post by Don » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:43 am

I feel a severe case of the intentional flu coming on !

User avatar
Chip
Site Admin
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA
Contact:

Friday looks like the day!

Post by Chip » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Patterns are still in line with a one day flying event for Kagel tomorrow. There's a slight possibility that the onshore flow will be too weak to reach the mountains.

But we're looking for the upper-level support to stay weak through Friday so we can at least take off.

Tonight, hopefully, we'll see the tell-tale signs of the wind subsiding as the onshore gradients strengthen enough to keep us at Kagel. If it doesn't happen at Kagel then SB or Ojai will be good alternatives. As of 2pm Thursday it looks like it may have started to weaken (wind still from the N but the velocity has dropped from 20 to 15.

Today (Thursday Feb 9th) Monticito PK in SB had winds from 204 @ 5mph (that's good). Lapse rate looked very good as well. Ojai had winds from 180 @ 10 mph (perfect for Chief's launch 8) ). Both areas had temps in the mid 80's

User avatar
Chip
Site Admin
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA
Contact:

Santa Barbara Crew Verifying Conditions

Post by Chip » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:30 pm

SCPA crew finally posted something today on their forum. Looks like Thursday was a pretty good day for them getting around 5800 (that's really good for SB), 2000' over the top of the ridge.

You can read about it here.

I think this should be a good indicator of what we're likely to get tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

Lapse rate should hold out for another decent day. Check here in the AM.

User avatar
Chip
Site Admin
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA
Contact:

In Closing

Post by Chip » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:09 am

Well it was on shore but the conditions weren't a stellar as I'd hoped. However the conditions held out for Saturday. Pilots needed to launch Kendalls but they were rewarded with altitudes of 6k.

Beats going to the desert.

Post Reply